Wednesday, October 11, 2017

SPIT17UAL17Y - My Track Considerations

OK - there are a few tracks I was considering for the CD (as always) and some I would like to share even though they didn't make it in the end.

First is Great Dreams Of Heaven by Ian Mcnabb:



Well this would have qualified for several reasons - firstly, it's got 'heaven' in the title, but then it's a list song (which was a possible theme), and also mentions 'football' and so would have qualified for the last theme too. It was written several years ago, but some of the phrases resonate and relevant in today's uneasy international times.

Then Just Like Heaven by The Cure:



No further explanation needed for this one really - great track.

Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones



I've not listened to this live version but embedding of the album track has been disabled (the one I tried to link). This is one of my favourite Stones tracks - I'm not a mega-fan but I love this song. Listening now as I type this, it doesn't quite have the same quality as the album track which builds really nicely. It was probably the first track that came to mind when the theme was announced.

Don't Look Down - The Divine Comedy



I came so so close to putting this track on the CD. Firstly anything by 'The Divine Comedy' would obviously qualify for the theme. Secondly, they are probably still my favourite band. Thirdly, this is on of my favourites of theirs and exemplary of the kind of song which made me love the band in the first place. Fourthly and by no means least importantly, it contains a bit of a poke at established Christian views of God and religion - and then there's the ominous warning at the very end 'DON'T LOOK DOWN'.

Other notable mentions are:

Godless by The Dandy Warhols



Demon In Profile - The Afghan Whigs



American Jesus - Bad Religion


No comments:

Post a Comment