Saturday, March 21, 2015

Cover Consideration ...

OK, maybe there's one track I gave serious consideration to and I'm fairly safe to talk about because I'm pretty sure that no-one will have put it on, and there's a bit of a story behind it.

Many years ago, you may recall Mike Flowers Pops doing a retro version of 'Wonderwall'. I think Chris Evans may have pretended for a while that it was the original that Oasis had covered. Anyway, it was really good - one of the few CD singles I ever bought. Actually, that makes me think ... I also bought Rolf Harris doing a cover of Stairway to Heaven as a CD single: maybe I need to re-evaluate my belief that I don't really go for comedy songs. As for Rolf Harris, well ...

Anyway, I digress, I once heard a song on the radio and I remember exactly where I was, it was sitting in a parked car in Tonbridge, roughly here:


We were away with work back in the days when I used to go out inspecting rails. Amyway, a song came on the radio and it didn't really get much attention at first, but there was something familiar about it - upon closer listening, it turned out to be a version of 'Last Nite' by The Strokes. I think I had the Mike Flowers thing in mind and wondered if it wasn't an original that The Strokes had ended up covering as it had a bit of a retro feel to it. For some reason, I never caught the information about it - maybe they'd announced it before it came on. However, the track stuck with me and I tried on many occasions to track it down (if you'll excuse the pun) but with no success ... until recently that is.

I spent quite a long time on Spotify browsing various covers when considering my selection for this next CD and came across this ...



Hurrah! At last I'd found it. And it was a cover ... two years after The Strokes version.

I am now wondering why on earth I didn't select it for the CD - it's a cracking version and I bet no-one's heard it before. Ah! How ironic - I'm playing the track in iTunes now and notice it's from an album called 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before'.

No comments:

Post a Comment